Tuesday, February 7, 2012

SeaMonstr Interview

The first-ever interview with someone putting up "urban art" on campus. Find out more about the infamous character known as Cmonstr (Sea Monstr)! [You can find more of this character here]

[Cmonstr / Elekt on The Ridge]



How did you come up with the name Cmonstr--and is it still with the ‘C,’ leaning more towards ‘Sea,’ or using both? Where did the Cmonstr character come from, and does it mean anything?
I came up with the name Sea monster mainly because I'm from Seattle, there's not really any other meaning to it. It came about because I realized that there is a very small graffiti scene out here (compared to Seattle), and writing my tag word (elect MDP) wouldn’t have much of an impact. This character is completely for fun, and doesn’t mean anything special, just clowning around. I wanted something that everyone would notice, not just the taggers. I figured people who see a weird little monster face creeping at you would be more memorable and noticeable than a word. It gives people a chance to know me before I know them, if that makes sense. So, I started fucking around with some characters, and came up with the sea monster, a quick 1-4 stroke face.
At first it was the cmonstr, mostly to make the tags quicker, but now I’m fucking with sea.

What's the motivation for tagging for you?
For fun. I’ve been tagging all my life, from little marker tags to painting fat pieces in the middle of illegal Seattle. Growing up in the graffiti scene has definitely impacted my life for the better. I stay true to my crew MDP and try to put it up as much as possible in B-ham.
I keep positive, bringing good vibes all around and don’t give a fuck about a hater. I’m just doing my thing, writing on shit.

Would you refer to yourself as an artist, writer, tagger, something else?
I like to think of myself as an artist, but I guess everyone is an artist in their own way. I’m probably more of a tagger/writer.

[Cmonstr on the Viking Commons sign]

What are your favorite things to tag with (markers, etc.)?
My favorite thing to tag with is spraypaint, no doubt. It seems like there’s unlimited options when painting, bringing new styles and flaring out your shit is the best. I have still yet to paint the sea monster, which I’m looking forward to soon. I’m also gonna be fucking with a bunch of stickers so watch out.

Where did you start tagging, and has anywhere become a favorite for you on campus / in the area?
I started tagging in B-ham anywhere I could--if there isn't anyone looking, I'll write on it.

Any plans to try different (or have you done) varieties of urban art, such as stencils, wheatpaste, etc.?
As for urban art goes, graffiti is graffiti, it doesn't make a difference your utensil. Kids need to buck up and create their own unique shit. There's too many wack-ass copied stencils or wheat paste stickers out there (especially in B-ham), kids be getting their tags or ideas from the interenet or movies or some shit, which completely defeats the essence of graffiti: self-expression and creative freedom. In my opinion, if you're going to deface something, you might as well go all out and make it look as cool as possible. Quit copying your ideas kids, or you'll be seeing the seamonster creeping over your shit...

[The new tag, Sea Monstr, found behind Carver Gym]

For us uninitiated, what is the MDP crew, and does it stand for anything?
Modern day pirates, most dangerous posse, more dead police, makin dough properly, mostly destroying property, makin dat paper, mass destruction production, more drugs please, most down people, mr. dont play, my dick punishes, movin dope properly, mainly doggin pussy, money drugs power... Haha, hella ways to put it. Look it up on flickr or some shit... shout outs to ralf erge scre laser defy plyer quiz offer space coyote...

When did you get involved with MDP, and what did you do?
I got involved about a year ago, it started just as a group of homies, but shit started to expand and it keeps growing. We been killing it ever since.

Have you tagged as anything else other than MDP or Cmonstr / Sea Monstr on campus or in the area?
I've been tagging elect/elekt around also.

Are you afraid of getting caught?
Of course I’m afraid of being caught. But it doesn’t stop me, only makes me more careful.

Would you ever collaborate with other taggers?
for sure, painting with a friend is sick, but there are factors that go with collaboration. I would have to know them well and share trust, considering the risks that go with it, we have to be on the same level and have each others backs. And I would have to like their work and style.

Would you support the Fairhaven Tunnel be homing a legal wall?
Yeah, of course, but I doubt that will go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment